Saturday, May 20, 2006

Just a Random Mix...

Well, things are finally settling down. My first two weeks on the new job were a whirlwind but it has been so much fun. This is exactly what I have wanted to do, it was just a process of elimination finding that out. I really like my boss and there are lots of exciting new options for the agency to grow. It started out in a garage and this year will celebrate 20 years of service. Last year the clinic provided medical assistance to over 2000 residents. It sounds like I'll mostly be doing administrative stuff and assisting the Executive Director and doing mostly funding/PR stuff.
I really like the other people I'm working with, although there has been some tension between the people who are leaving (4 different positions in a short time, due to school and schedule changes) and the new ones, but it's nothing compared to the last job. I haven't been yelled at by a prominent former city official or subpeona'd yet, I'm a happy girl.
It's nice to work where people come voluntarily, this is the first time I've worked somewhere like that since I worked retail right after high school. They are much nicer when they aren't forced into using your services!

On the fiber front, I finished a Green Gable (pics to come) and it fit great. Then I blocked it. I made it longer than the pattern said but after I blocked it, the fit was way too long and too wide across the bust. I've started another for my mom for her birthday and I'm doing it in the smaller size. If it turns out well, I'll redo mine. I also joined the Green Gable Knit Along. It's very cool to see everyone's finished sweaters. Mom's birthday is next week and I'm not even to the sleeves yet, so I'd better get a move on.

Bookish stuff:
I just finished Hypocrite in a Poufy White Dress. This book was so great. She has such a great, witty writing style. I hate that it ended! It was clever and touching but honest and incredibly funny. If you like those types of memoirs I would highly recommend it.
I also finished Memoirs of a Geisha quite a while back. It was also a great story. I'm not usually a big fan of historical fiction, but I loved this book. I would also recommend it. I saw the movie too but the book was much better.

We're just hanging out this morning, got up and grabbed some breakfast and went to the Farmer's Market then washed the cars and came back home. We're just sitting here watching Tivo'd episodes of Going Tribal. That show is so cool. Right now he is hunting crocodile with a tribe in Ethiopia.
We have a wedding to go to later today in Tulsa then we're staying with the in-laws tonight.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phew! I'm so glad you're enjoying your new job!

8:48 PM  
Blogger LinknKnits said...

Glad the new job is ok! It makes such a difference when you actually like going to work!

Did you have any troubles with Green Gables? I checked the GG-along page and it seemed like lots of people were having problems. Actually kept me from getting the pattern. Would love to hear your opinion!

7:47 AM  
Blogger Jenny Moore said...

Glad things are starting to settle down for you!

I loved Memoirs of a Geisha - been hesitating to watch the movie though. I'm just afraid it won't do the book justice!

7:00 PM  
Blogger DAWN said...

the green cable looks so pretty. So, once you block it you are stuck with it? You can't like wash it and kidda re-shape it? I've not made anything that needed blocking yet so this is good stuff to know.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying your new job. It sounds like you are in the perfect place.

Shelly

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home