Monday, March 20, 2006

More Tokyo...

Just as I'm sure you were hoping to see,
MORE TOKYO!!!
I just realized reading back over yesterday's post that it must have sounded incredibly stupid to those of you who are somewhat familiar with Japanese culture and religion. So please pardon this, the (once) Baptist white Girl's pictorial guide to Tokyo.

The pictures today are of the fish market at Tsukiji. Let me tell ya, they love their tuna.
The big frozen fish on the left had just come in from the coast of Ireland and were worth about $20,000 each! The fresh ones, which were chilled, were worth twice that. It was such an amazing site, a whole building of wall to wall fish.


This pic is the actual auction, you can see the auctioneer in the back with his hand up.











There was another whole building of rows and rows of vendors selling all kinds of sea life. The aisles were so tiny I could barely turn around with my backpack on and people were whizzing by us carrying tons of boxes and riding little carts.










Just a bit of the vendors' fare, there was stuff crawling all over the place! It was really amazing to see, quite overwhelming at 6AM.

So we took a break and went to the rows of restuarants behind these buildings and had sushi and chicken yakatori for breakfast. Mmm....



That's all for now before Blogger snatches more pictures back.

The octapus were really cute, you just have to
take my word for it







P.S. Thanks Sue, you're brilliant! The pics worked much better that way.
I thought...
Ugh, they looked fine until they went up and now I try to change things and they disappear. It took an hour for this gorgeous spread!

6 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Bamberg said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures. I can't imagine stuff walking around at 6 am! Thanks for posting!

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack! Blogger and photos can be quite irritating!! I always just center my photos and add the text underneath. That way I won't end up tearing out my hair!

Incredible pics of the fish market! What an amazing trip!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Yasmin said...

Wow! Nice pictures. I thought the fish market here was huge but this is something else, Auction for fish !!! And those tiger prawns look amazing ...I can imagine them fried...YUM!

9:13 AM  
Blogger DAWN said...

Wow!! what a trip you had--great pics!

7:29 AM  
Blogger utenzi said...

Holy moly, those are big fish. I thought tuna were round and about 8 ounces and surrounded with a steel skin. Who knew they were that big when they still wore gills.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home